Sunday, February 15, 2015

Vintage Art Deco Desk Redo

I'm really excited about this vintage art deco desk that I refinished. This project was very rewarding and I'm really digging the end result:


I snatched the desk up at the second hand store a few months ago for $10. It was in pretty bad shape, but I knew it had potential. I had been promising my daughter I would redo a desk for her bedroom. I really love the detail on this desk and would be pretty excited to come across another one as I now want one for myself. So this is exactly how it looked when I got it, no hardware and the desk had seen some pretty rough days...



We gave it a good clean and then gave it a quick sanding. For the flat surfaces I used an electric sander and then did the ornate edges by hand with a fine grit sand paper. I'm no sanding pro by any means but I certainly try to get the job done.



I used my favorite go-to primer, Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Primer for all surfaces. Just one coat all over. Spot the cute little helper (or destroyer depending on what time of day it is).



Originally I had wanted to paint the desk plain white but my little girl had her heart set on a fun color. So we negotiated and decided on coral. Coral Passion by Valspar in a satin finish. I did two coats of the coral and then once it had dried, applied one coat of Minwax Water Based Polycrylic. I wasn't too sure about the hardware and almost went with silver, but glad I went with the brass.


I've done a few furniture projects in the past few years but so far this is the number 1 favorite. It won't be neat and tidy like this for long, that's for sure. A certain eight year old will be covering it with pet shop toys, beenie boos, and all sorts of girly things. So I really must find another one for my bedroom soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment