Sunday, January 4, 2015

Recipe Post - Greek Salad Obsession

In addition to crafts and home decor inspired blog posts, I'm going to post the occasional recipe... I've been trying a lot of new recipes recently and very closely watching what I eat. Losing weight these past few years has not been easy. Between really fun post partum body changes, extreme stress going through a pretty major crisis, and and lets see... more stress, its been really tough. However, Im excited that since my heaviest weight that I reached, Ive lost 15 pounds. It was 20 but I just got back from a cruise and anyone thats been on a cruise - you know what Im talking about. Yikes. Ive got a long way to go to reach my goal but I'm on the right track.

I've always liked Greek salads but lately I have really, REALLY like them. I tend to get hooked on a recipe and then exhaust it. I need to learn to just make it in moderation and not make it every few days until I'm tired of it. I did that for a while with this recipe...

What I like about this Greek Salad is that I found that the few times I didn't have vinegar or lemon juice on hand it was still tasty. A lot of recipes Greek salad recipes out there call for different portions of the veggies, but this is simply what I have found works for me. I'm not a huge fan of cucumber so I don't like it to overpower my salads... So here it goes:

Chopped Greek Salad
  • 5 roma tomato's
  • 1 large cucumber
  • 1/2 large purple onion
  • 1 medium red pepper
  • 1 cup pitted kalamata olives (sliced in half)
  • 1 small container (4oz) of crumbled feta
  • 1 teaspoon of oregano or Italian herbs
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice

Chop everything into cubes, except for the onions. Cut the onions into rings if you like or smaller quartered rings like mine.


A generous teaspoon of your favorite Italian herbs, or Oregano, or even Basil if you have run out of the others...


And after that just add the oil and lemon juice and vinegar (I figured pictures of all three were unnecessary - you get the idea).


The great thing about this recipe is if you divide it into approximately 6 servings, its just 233 calories per serving. I'm going to do a post sometime soon on calorie counting, and how to make it easier if you like to cook from scratch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment